Friday, March 20, 2009

As Promised, My Thoughts on Ailey II’s Recent Canadian Performance.


Ailey II's Jarvis McKinley and Megan Jakel in Sidra Bell's Valse. Photo by Eduardo Patino, NYC. Photo courtesy of Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, Inc.

I was watching clips of Ailey performances on youtube for months when I found out that Ailey II (the repertory ensemble of the Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation) was heading to Canada. I already knew exactly what I wanted to wear before I even purchased tickets (a navy KLS knee-length dress with a ruffled collar and the Coach wristlet I bought while cross-border shopping over the Christmas break. I’m only into brand names if I can get them at a reasonable price…Sorry Dior, I want my money more! Buffalo shopping hotspots? Another blog post altogether).

Finally it’s January 22nd and I’m rushing to get to Rose Theatre in Brampton for 7 (the show started at 8 but I misread the ticket). My Grandmother and I find our seats as we carry on our conversation about “Deal or No Deal”, etc. I can still feel the cold, January air rolling off the stage into the first row as the curtains go up. I thought the air was chilly, but the dancers were so intense and mysterious. In between the lifts, twists, and leaps, I flipped through my playbill to find out what the piece was called (“Valse”; choreographed by Sindra Bell). Then I heard my Grandma say (in patois), “But they’re children.” They’re not; most of them are probably around my age (in the twenties) but their skill-whoa! As I read their bios I found that many of them are pursuing their Bachelor’s of Fine Arts. That just added to my amazement and desire to hit the gym.

As one of America’s most popular dance companies no surprise that Ailey attracts dancers from all over the U.S. But I was happily surprised to find two international dancers were added to the troupe this season-Fana Fraser (Trinidad & Tobago) and Chang Yong Sung (Korea, also the choreographer of “Requiem”). I can’t spoil it now, but you’ll hear more about them in our next issue.

Other memorable moments from the night:

“Takademe” choreography by Robert Battle: This piece had the audience giggling the whole time. I don’t know if it was the “ding” or the tights.

“Quintet” choreography by the legendary Alvin Ailey: At first, the blonde wigs, red heels and booty jiggling had me thinking this was supposed to be a humorous piece. But as the wigs and shoes came off, the real women emerged. It was beautiful and prime example of Mr. Ailey’s storytelling genius.

“Revelations” choreography by Alvin Ailey: Honestly this was all I came to see, although I did not expect to see “Rocka My Soul…” encored more than once. ¡Muy excellente!

No comments:

Post a Comment